Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Looking for Alaska -John Green



Book Summary: 
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


My Thoughts: Do you sense a theme? Ha! I warned yesterday... I love John Green! Looking for Alaska is my FAVORITE of his works! I thought after reading A Fault in Our Stars I could not love one of his books more and than I read Looking for Alaska. My life was changed! (Drama Queen... I Know)! As soon as you start the book you notice "One hundred thirty six days before." I was so excited to know what the "event" was! And then the "event" came and my heart was broken. WARNING: you WILL ugly cry; it is worth it though! What a beautiful story. You have to sympathize with Miles (Pudge), he just wants to experience greatness... his "Great Perhaps!" He chooses adventure by going away to boarding school, and by the friends he chooses. I love the quirky detail of his love for people's last words. I totally looked up a few people's last words while reading this book. I also saw myself in Chip ("Colonel"). He puts up this great wall and only lets a few inside because he feels what I believe to be inadequate. It is hard to let people in sometimes and it's beautiful to watch that process play out in this story. I would without hesitation recommend this book! I do think (even though it is considered young adult) that it is more appropriate for older high school and above because there are a few risque scenes! 



Jaime 


No comments:

Post a Comment