Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Maze Runner -James Dashner

Book Summary:
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they're closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.


My Thoughts:
I am going to try and not be ugly when speaking about this book. I know A LOT of my students and a few teacher friends that have really enjoyed this book. I however did not appreciate it. After hearing about it from my kids and reading the summary above I was SO excited to get reading. I was sadly disappointed. I have a little personal book rule that I make myself read at least 5 chapters before I can judge a book whether it be good or bad. This book was hard in that respect because the chapters were so small. I made myself keep going because I had heard such great things. It was a hard start to the book because you literally have to learn a new language. The boys in the Glade have a little made up language of slang words and non offensive curse words. It took me until about halfway through the book to finally feel comfortable with the dialect. You also are completely lost to what is happening until the last 20-30 pages in the book. Even then you are left with some big questions. I am not a big fan of such a large build up. I felt because of said build up the last part of the book was rushed and sloppy. This book is only the first in a series... maybe the rest are better. I would not recommend this book from my experience. 

The Maze Runner is however being turned into a movie scheduled to come out Winter of 2014... I will definitely watch the movie to see how it fares in comparison! 


Happy Reading, Sugars...

                         Jaime 

No comments:

Post a Comment